Monday, May 11, 2009

Perry Sudan British

Here's my completed 20-man unit for TSATF.

I also took a few close-ups of the rankers and Officer/NCO:

...and here's a view of their backs, just for the heck of it:

I painted these quite some time ago, and they were quite easy to paint up. I've used Litko bases (25mm square), and pumice gel from my local craft supply store. A few sprinkles of small rocks and ballast and there you have it.

The uniforms have been painted with Vallejo Medium Blue, and then washed with GW's new-ish blue wash (Tellarn blue, I think?). I hilighted them with the base color + white.

Over the years, I've changed my way of painting; it used to be I primed white, and then did my own version of "stain painting" - anyone remember Duke Siegfried's handout about speed painting? In the years since, I've switched to black undercoating, with more of a 3-color method of base, wash, hilight, and additional hilights as I see fit.

Here's a photo of my in-progress Highlanders:

I hope you enjoy the (poor) photos as much as I enjoyed painting them!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Eureka 28mm Austrian Grenzers

I've just completed 4 of the 8 Austrian Grenz miniatures that I'll need for my 1st Austrian Corp.

These are Eureka's miniatures, which I picked up at last year's Historicon. The figures were a joy to paint, and the cleanup was minimal, with the only assembly being the attachment of the ramrods which hang from a strap on the fronts of the miniatures (I have to admit that I lost a couple of these to the "carpet monster", but I'm hoping that no one will notice once the unit is finished!).

I've lifted the uniform colors completely from Osprey's MAA 299, Austrian Auxiliary Troops 1792-1816. You'll recognize these from figure A1.

In the coming weeks and months, I hope to update the progress I am making with my early Napoleonic collection.

Time permitting, my next post will actually be about the Sudan miniatures I've talked about!